I would like to know what I can do if the package is moving oddly as I put the wrong address, and what if it's delivered to the incorrect location.

If you realized that you had put an incorrect shipping address after the order was ready to be shipped out or fulfilled, we suggest that you first contact USPS (1) to notify them of the change of address or (2) to reject (refuse) the parcel sent back to the sender.


【Official USPS® Change-of-Address】


【Reject the Parcel】
-USPS Customer Care Center: 877-569-6614
-Email: fast@usps.gov

Let USPS know you must refuse the package because of the address issue.


Don't hesitate to contact us if you still face difficulty receiving your order after directly inquiring USPS to take action for the delivery issue. We will investigate and do our best to assist you on this matter further.

Was this article helpful?
1 out of 10 found this helpful
My Account Page
Click here for My Page of Account.
Click here for any inquiries. Send email using form.
Live Chat
Click on the chat icon in the bottom left corner of your screen at any time for your any inquiries. (Recommended)